Friday, October 19, 2012

Bad news

My pt of view, drawn before I got 
this news (on white paper, 
don't know why it photo'ed orange)
I wrote to Dr. Nelson asking about the results of my CT scan. She replied:

Ms. Cullen -

I was surprised by the results of your CT as you have been doing so well. Unfortunately, the CT suggests some of the nodules are larger and that there are a few new nodules. The report is attached for your review and I will given you a paper copy when we meet next week.

I do not think this should prompt you to change your upcoming trip in October/November. We can discuss the pros/cons of travel in December/January when we meet.

- Amy Nelson, M.D.

****************************
CT CHEST WITH CONTRAST

** HISTORY **:
Metastatic vulvar cancer to lungs, followup

** FINDINGS **:
Comparison: 03/28/2012 and PET CT dated 8/16/2012

Technique: Axial images of the chest were obtained with
administration of 100 cc of Visipaque 320.

CTDI: 21 mGy
DLP: 683 mGy-cm

In comparison to PET/CT dated 8/16/2012 there is interval increase
in size and number of bilateral pulmonary nodules. 1.6 x 2 cm left
apical mass previously measured 1.5 x 9 mm on PET/CT. 7.5 x 7 mm
superior segment right lower lobe nodule, previously measured 5
mm. Left basilar 11 x 13 mm nodule was not seen on recent PET/CT.
7 mm right middle lobe nodule was not seen on prior exam.

No hilar, mediastinal or axillary lymphadenopathy. Heart size is
within normal limits. No pericardial or pleural effusions.

No aggressive osseous lesions are seen.

Evaluation of the upper abdomen demonstrates gallstones.

** IMPRESSION **:
Increased size and number of pulmonary nodules, compatible with
metastases.

****************************
Although it seems somewhat irrelevant at the moment:

The last few days my insomnia has kicked in again. Last night I fell asleep at around midnight, but only stayed asleep for around half an hour, then stayed awake until about 3 am. Into the wee hours, watching The Office (UK), Dr. Who (which I'm not sure I even like anymore), Battlestar Gallactica, and Peep Show. I am too tired to do anything but some walking.

Down to two eyelashes on my right eye.

4 comments:

  1. O Bollocks. My previous thought that cells so easily killed in one part of the body would also be easily killed in another is WRONG. I wish I were kidding, too! Mentally, I'm wrapping you in a giant, soft, ongoing hug. I'll see ya in a couple of hours---loveloveloveU

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sad, and I'm resisting the urge to find a silver lining. I'm sending lots of metta your way, though. That I won't resist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear this. Cyber-hugs being sent your way to be followed by real ones in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear this news. Just plain crap, nothing else to say, except that I am thinking of you with love. I hope you can go to Mexico. Sending all the metta I can muster. Love, Varada

    ReplyDelete